If you are coming to Germany to work as a freelancer, you might have already done some research, and are aware that different rules apply than for regular employees. Freelancers are not mandatory insured, and therefore can have a hard time accessing the public health insurance system. In this article we are going to go through the various options, and briefly explain why one might be better than the other.

I am currently insured in the EU, EEA, Switzerland or the UK.

Due to social security agreements between the above listed countries, you have a few options at your disposal:

1. Sign up for public health insurance as a voluntary member: If you are moving your permanent residence to Germany and are going to register your freelancing activity here, you can access the public health system. Once you submit the application, we will get in touch regarding any further information needed. This whole process has been eased with the rollout of the EESSI. The public insurance contribution for freelancers is set to around 18% regardless of the provider, and you can find more information here. Public insurance allows for a free coverage of dependents, as explained here. You can sign up for public health insurance here.

2. Stay on your home insurance: If your permanent residence, as well as focus of business activities is still in your home country, your stay in Germany would then be considered as temporary, and you can remain on your home insurance for a maximum duration of 2 years. You would have to request an A1 and S1 form from your home insurance provider. You can find more information on these here.

3. Sign up for comprehensive private insurance: The comprehensive private insurance contribution is set individually according to two factors: age and health. If those two go into your advantage, private insurance could be more affordable than public. Have in mind that adding dependents to a private policy will come at a full price for each dependent. Signing up for private insurance will only be possible if you are making more than €30,000 gross yearly. You can sign up for comprehensive private insurance here.

4. Sign up for expat insurance: If none of the aforementioned options suit your needs, expat health insurance is worth taking a look into. Even though it is more affordable than public or comprehensive private insurance, keep in mind that it is a temporary solution, and provides limited coverage. You can sign up for expat insurance here.

5. If you are an artist, or fall into one of these categories, you can sign up for KSK.

I am not currently insured in the EU,EEA, Switzerland or the UK.

1. Sign up for comprehensive private insurance: As stated above ⬆️

2. Sign up for expat insurance: If your earnings are under the private threshold (€30,000 gross yearly), expat health insurance is a great option. It is the most affordable solution, and provides coverage for up to 5 years.

3. If you are an artist, or fall into one of these categories, you can sign up for KSK.

You can also click here to access our recommendation tool, and get results tailored to your individual situation.

Did this answer your question?