Have you recently relocated to Germany without a job? In that case, it can be a bit tricky to get you signed up for public health insurance. Here's what you need to know:

Unfortunately, you cannot sign up for public health insurance if you've moved to Germany from outside the EU.

Unless you've been covered by another public health insurance system somewhere else in the EU within the past three months, you cannot sign up for public health insurance as an unemployed person. In this case, you would need to sign up for expat health insurance and wait to find a job in order to switch to public health insurance.

If you've moved to Germany from somewhere else in the EU, then you will need to prove that you had prior public health insurance coverage in that country.

In order to get signed up as an unemployed person, you will need to show proof that you were covered in the country that you moved to Germany from. In most cases (other than the UK) you would need to contact someone in that country's health administration and request an "E104" document. This serves as proof of your membership in that public health system and will grant you permission to enter the German health system.

In some cases, it can be quite difficult to retrieve this document. Therefore, as long as you don't have any immediate health concerns (like a pre-existing condition) and you plan to get a job in Germany, we recommend that you sign up for expat health insurance. Once you find a job, you can easily cancel the expat health insurance policy and switch to public health insurance easily as an employed person.

Do you meet these qualifications? Here's how to apply.

Did this answer your question?