In order to enroll in a German university, you must get signed up for Health Insurance. If you're a student who has moved to Germany from another country in the European Union, then there are two ways of getting covered:

Method 1: Request an exemption and use your EHIC card issued to you by your home country's public health fund.

This method is recommended for anyone who doesn't intend on remaining in Germany after their studies. If you have an EHIC card, then simply complete the following form and we'll send you a letter of exemption shortly after. You can use this letter of exemption to satisfy your health insurance part of your University registration.

Method 2: Sign up for public health insurance in Germany

You can only switch to German state health insurance if you plan on remaining in Germany after your studies. For this option, you should first apply (click here to apply) for public insurance and then submit the following document to

Did this answer your question?