German law requires everyone to have health insurance, so you will need to sort out your health insurance situation before enrolling at a German university. There are two ways of getting covered in Germany as a university student from country in the European Union:

Method 1: Use the EHIC card issued to you by your home country's public health fund.

This method is recommended for anyone who doesn't intend on remaining in Germany after their studies. The law isn't super strict here—usually showing that you have proof of cover in a public system in EU is enough. 

  • If you don't have an EHIC card, you can reach out to your home country's public health administration and ask for a document which says the following: "[FIRST NAME, LAST NAME] is covered under the public system in EU country [COUNTRY NAME] until [LAST DATE OF STUDIES]."
  • NOTE: To enroll at university, you will also need to get certification of your EU coverage from a German public insurance provider. We can help you secure this certification from TK. Just send your proof of insurance (e.g. a scan of the front and back of your EHIC card) to and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Method 2: Sign up for public health insurance in Germany

You can only switch to German health insurance if you plan on remaining in Germany after your studies. For this option, you should:

We will submit your application to TK and get you covered.

Did this answer your question?